Sunday, January 27, 2008

Back to School

I have gone back to school!

Actually, that sounds more dramatic than it is, since I'll only be a student for 4 months, finishing in May. I'm taking 9 units at SJSU to complete my Multiple Subjects Credential. This is basically the credential required to teach in a California public elementary school. (I already have a Single Subject Credential for Math & English.) This week I had over 200 pages to read (and take notes on) just for my 6 unit Language Arts Instruction class. The reading itself is easy, and the material is actually pretty interesting, but it's a LOT! For my Math Instruction class we just had to solve a brain teaser. I found one solution while I was still sitting in class, and at home I found another, which Westin helped me with. Here is the puzzle, in case you're interested:

How do you measure exactly 4 gallons of root beer if the only containers you have are an unlimited vat of root beer, a 3-gallon container, and a 5-gallon container?


Why am I taking classes? My kids are getting older and more independent. They will be 14 and 17 this Spring. I would like to get a part-time job in the next year or two. Before having kids, I was a teacher at Valley Christian High School and several public elementary schools, but I never got the hang of classroom management, and I don't want to return to that career. At least not in that form.

Our family has appreciated having the public school home study option for our homeschooling. Westin & Susie have both been enrolled in our local elementary district's Independent Study Program, and then California Virtual Academy, a charter school. In these programs, students and parents work with a credentialed teacher to plan lessons. The district or school provides all the learning materials free of charge. For CAVA, this includes a computer and printer/scanner. In exchange, families must submit work samples, the number varying with each program. Both Westin and Susie have since transfered into our own private school to finish their high school education. Nonetheless, we greatly benefitted from the availability of the public homeschool programs as new homeschoolers. With my new credential, I'll be able to take a position as a supervising teacher in one of these programs, working with families who choose to educate their children at home, but with the support of an accredited public school.

As I study, study, study this semester I hope I am setting a good example for my kids. So far I am also enjoying the classes. I ride the lightrail from near my home to SJSU, listening to my new iPod or reading. If I don't post many messages this semester, you'll know why.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good for you! I'm very proud of you working so hard.

Silvia said...

I miss you at our Bible study!!
May (the month :)) will be here sooner than you think. Thanks for all you give to the community. I can speak for the FREE math class you teach my son, and the Tech Museum challenge that Josiah also participates with your group. Wonder woman!!!!