Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Blessing one another

Living in community is great. Some people worry that homeschooling families are too isolated. My experience has been just the opposite: homeschooling families are MORE interconnected with a large community of other families, who are eager to meet needs as they arrive . I want to take a few moments to reflect on this and the practical blessings we've received and given.

I have always looked for opportunities to meet the needs of people in crisis. We homeschooled a friends son for 2 years. I volunteer many hours in the homeschool community. For 3 years we've rented out a bedroom (cheap) to a low-income friend. This month, however, the shoe was on the other foot.

On March 15, I was in a car accident that totaled my Corolla and injured my leg. In the following week, Debbie H. and Silvia L. brought me groceries; Stephanie I. and Sharon L. drove my kids places; Jennifer S. , Heather M., and Derek A. all offered us a vehicle to borrow! Others also wanted to know how they could bless us, but our practical needs were more than covered! Many were praying for us, including my prayer-warrior friends Kym N. and Carolyn M. This was a good lesson to me to be willing to share my needs with others, since I typically choose to be extremely self-reliant (prideful?).

One of the outcomes of the accident is that we now have a 97 Honda Odyssey. With this larger vehicle, we will be able to bless others in new ways. Our neighbors have started attending South Hills, but have too many children to transport to church. We can now take 2 with us. I'm also coaching a Tech Challenge team for homeschooled high schoolers, and now I'll be able to drive all six who live in my neighborhood to our events downtown. Previously I was borrowing Silvia's van.

Thank You everyone! This living in community, caring for another's needs is how we were meant to live. (2 Cor. 9: 6-15)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Amen! I love being "sisters" with you in both Homeschooling and church.